Tuesday 27 March 2012

Machu Picchu

http://www.peru-machu-picchu.com/

I chose this image for my blog post because to me it combines both a documentary style photograph with personal associations. I have yet to make it to Peru, but it on my list of must-see countries, and I hope to go there next year to do the Machu Picchu trek.

I think this image is especially effective as a documentary image because the photograph is pulled out enough to show the majority of the preserved Inca village, while still showing its incredible location embedded in the mountains. The affect of the clouds wrapping around the mountain shows the sheer altitude and the fact that it is very much a part of the natural landscape. The bright blue sky peeking through at the top reminds the viewer that the Village is actually outside, whereas more close-up photographs can be misleading, looking more like a man made exhibition.

Machu Picchu is a World Heritage site, but there have been talks of shutting down the tourist trails, as they are becoming to hard on the landscape, thus making it difficult to protect the integrity of the pristine preservation. Photographs like the one above may be the only way to experience the beauty of Machu Picchu. In this sense, documentary style photographs become an integral part of history lessons as they come as close as possible to encapsulating the magnitude of the 'World Wonders'.

3 comments:

  1. This is an amazing photo, I would love to see that in person. I like your analysis about the importance of photography and the comparison with documentary photos. I always have found it fascinating when old things such as entire villages are preserved; its almost like the only version of authenticity left on the earth. I also like the clouds that cover parts of the image, it adds a mysterious quality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this photograph as well! My roommate actually talks about climbing the Machu Picchu all of the time. The tranquility of this photo is shown even though the clouds are covering the mountain and I agree with Jackie in respect to the mystery quality of the photo. The clouds cover the mountain, leaving the viewer to question what is behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep me posted on when you go because I will come with you! This is also on my "list"! I agree that this is a documentary photograph especially because you are able to support that claim with the fact that this is a World Heritage site that may need to be inaccessible to tourists for preservation. To limit access to a World Heritage site is worthy of documenting in the history books.

    ReplyDelete